Great Taste Three Star Award 2021
Pantri Swswen based in Caersws, Mid Wales has been awarded a Great Taste Three Star Award for Welsh Blackcurrant Conserve and 1-star award for their Welsh Redcurrant Preserve. Great Taste is the largest and most trusted food and drink awards on the planet. Out of 5,383 products worldwide to receive an award they are one of 4127 to receive a Great Taste 1-star & one of only 218 to receive a 3-star accolade on 21 September 2021. Pantri Swswen will now be able to display the unmistakable black and gold logo, a stamp of excellence that is recognised by retailers and consumers alike.
Pantri Swswen are thrilled with the judges comments for their Welsh Blackcurrant Conserve “The aromas are of vibrant blackcurrants and they make your mouth water. This conserve has intense blackcurrant flavour with length and freshness. You get a sense of really good fruit which has been skillfully crafted into a fantastic product. The balance of fruit, sweetness and acidity is just stunning and makes this conserve feel like a real treat.” “This is a gorgeous conserve – the colour is so intense, the smell is pure blackcurrant bushes, and the taste is divine. The soft set is lovely, there is enough fruit to give texture, but the most important aspect is the taste, and that is stunning. The maker has allowed the tartness of the blackcurrants to sing, and that is part of the success. A great product made with care” and for their Welsh Redcurrant Preserve “A beautifully fresh colour and flavour – lovely acidity and well judged sweetness. Glossy and pretty. It tastes fabulous. You have captured all the characteristics that redcurrants have, not least their wonderful acidity. We didn’t mind the pips because that’s what redcurrants have! This is so well made and you have taken time and effort to ensure that the redcurrant and its amazing flavour have been allowed to shine”.
We are thrilled!
Lizzie Jones owner explains: “Welsh grown blackcurrants, sugar, water and a delicate cook to reach a soft set. It’s such a simple, humble yet perfect preserve that let’s the taste of blackcurrants shine. This conserve has been a best seller since we first started Pantri Swswen in 2012 and entering it into the Great Taste Awards this year has certainly proved fruitful! We are thrilled with this award and to have also picked up an award for our Welsh Redcurrant Preserve is wonderful. All of our preserves and cakes are made using Welsh grown and sourced ingredients, in particular we strive to support our local Welsh growers and producers who share our passion for Welsh food. Small batch artisan production methods enable us to preserve and enhance the purity of the ingredients and we are thrilled that this has been recognised through our multiple awards and becoming a Great Taste Producer.
The Great Taste 1-star Welsh Redcurrant Preserve and 3-star Welsh Blackcurrant Conserve are available from local retail outlets and to purchase via our online shop Pantri Swswen and also in our gift pack trio’s and luxury hampers.
For more information:
Guild of Fine Food Facts and Figures
- Established in 1994, Great Taste is organised by the Guild of Fine Food and is the world’s largest, longest standing and most respected food accreditation scheme for artisan and speciality food producers.
- 14,113 different products were entered in 2021 from 108 countries.
- 355 judges blind-tasted this year’s entries, including; Joanna Blythman, investigative journalist and food writer. Cook, writer, stylist and voice of modern vegetarian cooking Anna Jones. Author, Olia Hercules. Kenny Tutt, MasterChef 2018 champion and restaurateur. Food writer and cook, Xanthe Clay. Presenter, author and tutor, Steven Lamb. Baker and author, Martha Collison, and Kavi Thakrar from Dishoom, as well as food buyers from Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason and Partridges.
- Socially distanced judging took place over 86 days at four venues including Guild HQ in Gillingham, Dorset and the Guild of Fine Food’s London home, No. 42 Southwark Street, SE1
- 4,027 awarded a Great Taste 1-star – A food that delivers fantastic flavour. Approximately 30% of entries will achieve this rating each year.
- 1,138 awarded a Great Taste 2-star – Above and beyond delicious – less than 10% of entries will achieve this rating.
- 218 awarded a Great Taste 3-star – Extraordinarily tasty foods – less than 2% of products are awarded a 3-star each year – don’t leave the shop without buying it!
Mention in Welsh Press